10.27.2013

Peace Corps New Application Timeline

I know it is helpful to Peace Corps applicants to see timelines (I searched and searched for them, and they were difficult to find since I fell under the "new" application - the one that started August 2012), so I thought since I have an invitation now, I would post mine!

It does include some things that aren't totally necessary, like one day where I thought about the Peace Corps a lot.. Just kidding! But the timeline is longer because it starts with my introduction to the PC.



May 15, 2012: I went to a meeting with a friend about working on a political campaign. The people we met there asked us what we wanted to do after graduating, like adults do. My friend has a lot of big dreams, though he often changes his mind, so when he said he wanted to join the Peace Corps I figured he probably wouldn't. One of the men there said that he was a RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) and the two of them discussed it while I listened. 

May 19, 2012: I of course went home after that meeting and looked at Peace Corps information until my eyes were going to fall out. I have this calendar where I write down one thing I did that day so I can remember big and small moments in my life, and when I look back at May 19, all I wrote was "decided that I NEED to join the Peace Corps." 

Sept. 17, 2012: I had been leisurely working on my application, but I might have gone 30 days without logging on, which is a no-no, so I had some sort of meltdown while working on it. It was gone and I had to start over. This wasn't good because I thought that I had to get it in by the end of September to leave when I wanted to (this was of course not true, but I didn't know that at the time). 

Sept. 25, 2012: There was a study abroad fair at school that a friend made me go to (okay, that's not true. I think I made him go because I had heard that Peace Corps was going to be there), so I got to meet Emory's rep, who would eventually interview me.

Jan. 6, 2013: This is when I officially submitted my application. All essays written, all boxes filled in, everything done and into the system. 

Jan. 7, 2013: Finished the medical questionnaire, which was crazy in-depth. I may or may not have needed my mother's help. Okay, I did. 

Feb. 1, 2013: Got an email saying they would be scheduling a formal interview soon. 

Feb. 6, 2013: Got a date for my interview!

Feb. 24, 2013: Stayed up with my grandlittle going over questions we'd found online and thinking about what possible responses could be - this was super helpful. 

Feb. 25, 2013: This is when I had my formal interview. I don't think it necessarily takes that long between getting the date and having the interview, but my recruiter and I had some miscommunication so it might have been a week later than it would have been. (Although, that was much preferred for me, because I was really busy the week prior.) The interview was longish, but excellent. Pretty much like a conversation with a cool person who happens to be typing everything as you say it. I got up early, spilled yogurt on my dress in the car, drove an hour and a half to VT, had the interview (I didn't even get lost, which made me think it must be fate), drove the hour and a half back, and even made it in time for my noon class! It was a good day. He told me at the interview that he would be nominating me.

March 15, 2013: Got a request for a medical form about my orthotics, which I did and sent back that day.

March 18, 2013: Got an email from my recruiter that was relatively cryptic.. It said that they had found a program for me but also said, "Are you okay with long cold winters, uneven terrain, and extreme heat?" I called my mother to ask and she said to go for it, so I emailed him back almost right away and said yes.

March 18, 2013 (later that day): Got my nomination! Community Economic Development sector, tentative departure date March 2014. 

April 5, 2013: Got my fingerprints taken at the police station next to the criminals (just kidding!) and mailed them along with other background check stuff at UPS. Apparently I could have done the fingerprinting there too. Who would have thought? 

August 22, 2013: Got an email saying I was medically pre-cleared!

August 26, 2013: Checked my status in the Application Portal and it says "Legally Cleared" so I guess I'm (pre-)cleared on both fronts. 

August 27, 2013: Received Placement Questionnaire.

August 28, 2013: Submitted Questionnaire

September 12, 2013: Submitted final transcript. I had to wait for this to come in the mail since the one on the school's website didn't have all of the information they wanted on it. 

October 21, 2013: Got a call from PC placement. Minimal questioning (You said you can leave basically right now, but I've got something in June, how does that sound? It's a slightly different assignment and area, is that okay?, etc.) and was told I'd get my invite Thursday (Oct 24).

October 23, 2013: Got the invite! Moldova June 2014! Community and Organizational Development.

So from application submission to invitation, it took 290 days (9 months, 17 days).
From nomination to invitation, it was 219 days (7 months, 5 days). 
And from questionnaire and transcript submission to invitation, it was 41 days (1 month, 11 days). That includes a government shutdown! 

(And from that day I decided I needed to join the Peace Corps to invitation... A grand total of 522 days, or 1 year, 5 months, 4 days.) 

Pretty thrilling, I know! 

I would be glad to explain any of this further if anyone is interested!

[UPDATE: I'm currently serving in Moldova and blogging at Wining & Whining if you'd like to read about my experiences.]

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So awesome!!! That's only 8ish months away. Eek! So exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is so impressive. I've heard about the Peace Corps but I don't know anything about it. It has me slightly interested...and I am very excited for you to start this new chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete